During half of the week I am married to Hot Shem. Hot Shem is independent and headstrong. She is a very successful working professional and deserves the clout and prestige she has earned. She comes home from work, gives me a deep and passionate kiss, and chats about her day while helping with dinner. She asks how my day was. Sometimes we go to the gym; sometimes we watch TV or play games; often we work in the yard or do household chores.
The other half of the week I am married to Shem the Mom. I just recently met Shem the Mom for the first time a couple of weeks ago (and fell for her instantly, of course). Shem the Mom wakes me up with status reports on the State of the House: current thermostat temperature, current weather, a list of things that are broken, children's body temperatures and blood sugar levels, etc. After my morning shower, I am immediately regaled with stories of what and how much was eaten for breakfast, size and color of morning B.M.'s, and other such wonderosities. After a hard day of work (typing is SO exhausting!) I am greeted at the door by Shem the Mom with stories of the day: who went to "time out," how many times tears were shed, and the hour-by-hour breakdown of how the day was spent. After an enjoyable evening as a family, followed by the children's bedtime, catatonic Shem the Mom stares vaguely at the TV (or the computer, or the blank wall). Late at night, I often receive my first (and only) quick kiss of the day.
I love both of these women dearly, and I don't mean to compare them; I'm simply stating how much my life and loves have changed since Shem the Mom came into my life and began systematically showing me how the fun and excitement of Hot Shem are not everything. Some loves are deeper and more complex... and ultimately more rewarding. For example, when I sweep and mop the floor and do the dishes, Hot Shem does not hesitate to "get all up in my junk," while Shem the Mom simply waves a limp arm at me and mumbles a grateful "wow, I love you."
Now you tell me which of these two responses is the better reward.

7 comments:
Well, I can tell you what kind of response my husband prefers... There are definitely more days that I feel like the tired mom than I do the "Hot Mom." Congrats to Shem on being so good at both!! You are awesome!!
I don't have a preference for the responses, but you should keep doing the dishes and mopping the floors until you figure out which is better for you. ;)
I love you, Kninsa!
First, GREAT opening quote! You had my attention right away.
Second, I love the word "wonderosities", have adopted it, and will proceed to use it in everyday conversation.
Now, in response to your question; I believe that any verbal thanks issued should be viewed as a plus and should be lapped up as a puppy laps up drips of melted ice cream from the hot concrete under a small child's feet.
Dang, you are one lucky guy.
Neither is the better reward, they are both precious in their own way. I don't really want to talk about the Hot Shem days because she's my sister and that's just gross. However, on your Shem the Mom days maybe you can be Hot kninsa instead and give more attention to her knowing that she poured her heart and soul into your beautiful boys.
Being home with kids is very tough and Paul's Hot Kim days are, unfortunately, few and far between. Just enjoy what you get and know that you are deeply loved. :)
I really enjoy your writing style. I think you're lucky to get two responses - how boring would just one response be all the time? :)
Mom: I like what kpmomma said. And welcome back.
Post a Comment