Okay, first of all, you should probably know that I've never been too hip on the latest and greatest gaming systems. I own a GameCube and exactly 7 games and that has been sufficient for me and my family for the past... oh, about four years. However, lately I've been starting to gradually come around to the Wii way of thinking, simply because it's so different. I mean, let's face it, could anybody REALLY tell the difference between the PlayStation and the PS2? Were there REALLY any sweeping changes between the GameBoy and the GameBoy Advance? But from GameCube to Wii... well now, that's a different story altogether.
And so, armed with this new "prove to me why I MUST buy a Wii for myself" attitude, I willingly approached the Rock Band drum set. Woo doggy! Great googa-mooga! What a riot! Two hours passed us like we were standing still. I had more fun playing video games last night than I've had since Tomb Raider first came out and I killed a T-Rex with nothing but two pistols.
As we left the veritable AC/DC recording studio, I told Shem that I was convinced we could now buy a Wii. She agreed that I could shop around and try to find myself a good deal and proceed with the plan to became Wii rockstars. Here's what I have come up with (using mostly amazon.com pricing; I admit one could feasibly find slightly better -- but not much):
Wii system + 1 controller = $350
3 extra controllers = $100
Rock Band 2 game (with guitar, mic and drum set) = $200
1 extra guitar = $25
Okay, so... for a mere $675 (give or take sales tax and shipping), I could be the proud owner of one single game!! One game? I mean, don't get me wrong, I had fun -- but did I have that much fun??
And that doesn't even include the $100 I would need to purchase MarioKart and four steering wheels. I mean, let's be honest, what good is a Nintendo brand gaming system if you can't play MarioKart?
Oh, well. Back to my GameCube I go. At least the heart of rock & roll is still beating. In Cleveland.

12 comments:
AMEN! One of the greatest modern scams is being perpetuated by the makers of modern technology - namely the lie that upgrading is beneficial or necessary.
For Christmas this year, we went from owning a classic Playstation to owning a PS2! We MIGHT even stop using our N64 soon.
What I wouldn't give for a PONG console!
We found a wii with 1 controller and for $249 at Walmart. We bought another controller at the same time, because let's face it you need at least 2. I walked out of walmart with 2 games (0ne that comes with it) and 2 controllers. This christmas we got another nunchuck at 2 more games for 50. We are not into the rock band thing yet... but the sports games are GREAT!
I rocked "Livin' on a Prayer" the other day too... seriously, that thing is amazing but I am glad my friends are the ones that paid for it!
I wish I could have seen you and Shem rockin' out-- that would be great fun!! My kids keep trying to convince us of the "need" to upgrade, but I find our ancient Xbox sufficient for our needs! 360 owners find that the old games won't play on the new system so we have even inherited 15 or more games...more reason to stick with the old system!!
The new generation consoles do have some advantages that finally got me to want an upgrade. For the 360 it was the HD gaming and the Netflix integration (as well as Media Center, but the old Xbox had that so -not an upgrade. I have only had it since Christmas, but I'll tell you right now streaming Netflix right to my main tv is so much better than crouching over a lap-top.
That being said, I have had a wii for a little over a year and have yet to talk myself into buying one of the $100+ music games. I have so far found it sufficient to play at my brother's house.
If you do take the plunge be sure to let me know so I can come rock out with you on the guitar, as I'm not very good on the drums.
I myself have never been much of a gamer but the Wii is a lot of fun! Since the probability of you becoming a world renowned Wii rockstar is pretty good maybe you could get some sponsors to support your craft - I am looking into setting up a home for fabulous shoes...it's a work in progress.
come on, Wii's are highly educational. I'm sure the boys would benefit in some way . . .
Woot for the Wii!! Although, I find it funny that Rock Band is what got you convinced on it. I mean, it's hardly a Wii exclusive. ;)
As for Mario Kart, I'm saying to you probably DON'T need to buy three extra wheels. The wheel is horrible. I mean, Tiffany uses the wheel, but most people prefer the nunchuck. Anyway, you'll have to come over some time and try it! :)
I agree. My kids prefer MarioKart without the wheel.
And lets face it, there comes a point when you are desperate for something to give your kid-who-has everything for Christmas.
Oh, I forgot to mention one other thing. $350 for a Wii? If you really saw such a deal, DO NOT PAY IT! It only costs $250.
Dude..I think you need to shop around to FIND a wii.(and not on Amazon, highway robbery $350). If you buy wiiplay it comes with another remote, so you don't need to buy three more..plus, you can always share the remotes so really, two is good. I go to Game Stop to buy used games, and sometimes the new ones are cheap as well..I love the wii!
Post a Comment