It comes from ice cream. In the immortal words of Paul Simon, "When I was just a boy..."
...my father had a puzzle. In fact he still has it; I found it in his game room when I was there this last Thanksgiving. It is an ice cream puzzle. It simply has dozens of scoops of ice cream of different colors. To my knowledge, I am the only person who ever actually completed this puzzle, but that's an ice cream cone of a different color. The point is that the BACK of the puzzle had a poem, called "The Craving," which I loved so much that I memorized. Here is part of it (and you know this is still from my 25-year-old memory because I googled the poem and can't find it anywhere):
As I wandered, weak and weary
Through the summer heat so dreary,
I quite suddenly was stricken by a longing strong and pure.
Quick I recognized this craving,
This familiar inner raving:
It was ice cream, only ice cream, that my heart was longing for.
Just a single scoop of ice cream, this my heart was longing for.
Only this, and nothing more.
On my quest I went a-searching,
Through the city streets a-lurching,
'Til at last I saw before me golden words upon a door.
..... [forgot this line]
..... [forgot this line]
"Ice cream, ice cream evermore!" read the words upon the door.
..... [forgot this line]
Only this, and nothing more.
Hot and tired, parched and thirsting,
Through the door I came a-bursting,
For I needed no rehearsing as to what I'd come here for.
Just a cone was all I wanted,
But I suddenly was haunted
By more luscious ice cream flavors than I'd ever seen before
I was suddenly confronted by a monumental chore:
Choosing one, and nothing more.
...and the poem continues for many, many more stanzas, listing out all of the individual flavors and detailing the ultimate demise of our poor hapless friend. It wasn't until I was finished memorizing this work of art that my English-teaching mother informed me that it was not original: it was a spoof of a "real" poem by a man named Edgar. I read "The Raven" with some trepidation, and never looked back.
I voraciously ate up every single one of Poe's works. After him, it was only a very small leap from Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher to Bradbury's Usher II... and I was off again, exploring the repertoire of my new friend Ray. From Poe to Bradbury to King to Carpenter to Harris to Rice to Shyamalan... thus details my downward spiral.
And I owe it all to ice cream. Only this, and nothing more.

5 comments:
Your search for the origin of your obsession is admirable, personally i am a little afraid to discover what my love of shoes means/came from. I do support your love of Poe, he is so great with words. Have you ever read The Bells? If not read it, aloud, and change your voice to match the sound.
My, what a twisted tale you weave. . .Love, Mom
I found the puzzle on ebay. One of the postings had a picture of the poem and you can kind of see it. I was going to buy it for you and send it to you for Christmas but both listings are charging $10 for shipping. I refuse to pay that much. So, here's the link if you want to try and read it from the posting. Maybe the guy will send you a better picture if you ask?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Springbok-Puzzle-Do-Yourself-A-Flavor-500-Exc_W0QQitemZ250548785887QQcategoryZ146075QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63
I have nothing to say about the point of this post - horror cravings. But, boy, does that bring back memories!!! I still think of that puzzle everytime I get a hunkering to do a puzzle. I had completely forgotten about the poem - It was my favorite at the time and describes me pretty well right now (well, in the summer).
That is awesome. It's amazing what can begin a love of literature.
Post a Comment