The first few times we went shopping together, she would trick me into going with her by saying something like "I need to go buy a new skirt for work, and I would really appreciate your company and opinion. It shouldn't take too long; I know exactly what I want. And besides, you know how much I hate shopping." And so of course I would go along, thinking no sweat, this should be some easy brownie points. But I quickly learned. Hating shopping is obviously relative and extremely subjective. (As a side note, it turns out she really didn't want my opinion either: read more here.)
As our love together blossomed, I eventually discovered that what she meant to say (but neglected to clarify) was that she doesn't like to shop as much as most other women. This seemingly innocuous omission is false advertising at its very finest. Let me give you an example.
Last week, I needed to buy Shem some pajamas to open on Christmas Eve (tradition, and all that). But I know she's pretty picky about what touches her body (unlike me -- as long as it covers my nakedness when the doorbell rings, I'm basically content), so I asked her to come along with me. We walked into Kohl's and immediately saw a display of the greatest pajamas EVER. She tried them on, and there were cheers of approval all around the dressing room. She loved the way they felt, I loved the way they looked, and the price was great. We had been in the store for 15 minutes and we had already met with success. A perfect shopping trip.
Except for one small snag.
I learned a valuable lesson today: it is against a woman's nature to buy the first thing she sees. I don't understand if this is because she believes there might be something better that she missed, or if she wants to make herself feel awesome about the great purchase she made (the infamous "Ha! I got the best thing this store has to offer! I'm the greatest." mentality), or what it is that officially happens. But I had plenty of time to ponder the intracacies of this question, as we spent the next 45 minutes looking at all the rest of the pajamas the store had to offer. And then left with the original pajamas anyway.
I think there could be some parallel drawn here to the fact that she probably exerted exponentially more effort choosing her spouse than she did choosing that apparel, but I refuse to be distracted from my rant.

4 comments:
You are correct, it is against our nature to buy the first thing we see. There is always that teeny, tiny chance that there is a better, less expensive set of pajamas, movie, shirt, pants, shoes, etc. 'Tis a curse. My biggest problem is that I have something in my head that I can't find in the real world (hence, perhaps, the lack of marriage.) :)
I DO HATE SHOPPING. But if you have to be there you need to get the best deal. DUH.
Dude, you got off easy... you remained at Kohl's the WHOLE time. A less sensitive woman would have carted you around to 3 or 4 more stores at least. I think you got off easy :) You need to add a photo of Shem in the darling PJs though - now I am wondering if I selected the wrong ones at JC Penny :)
HAHAHAHA!That's just too stinkin' hilarious! I love it! :) Did you guys get matching pj's?
Post a Comment