It's hot.
I don't believe in paying more than $1000 for a car.
In general, the above two statements are not mutually exclusive. In fact, at first blush, they have no relation to each other in any way. However, recently I made the (fatal?) mistake of owning a car that is so cheap that it only has 4/50 air conditioning. Yesterday it was 102° outside the car, and about 450° inside (I know it wasn't hotter than 450 because I had a book on the front seat and it didn't burn). And I don't mean that sissy wet heat like they have in Missouri, where there's perpetually a nice refreshing film of water in the air -- it kind of feels like you're constantly running through sprinklers or something. And I don't mean that sissy Arizona heat either, where everybody lives his life at a balmy 72° because he never goes outside. No, no. I'm talking about real heat.
So I took my car to an "A/C specialist" to determine the problem. And you'll never guess what he told me. I know he wasn't just making stuff up either, like mechanics are wont to do, because I don't believe this particular mechanic was bright enough to come up with a story like this. Apparently, the car horn fell off its housing and landing on the A/C condensor and stayed there for something like 4 years (1/5 the life of the car), wearing a hole in said condensor. It will cost me $509, he continues to inform me, to replace the condensor and recharge the freon... AND THEN we will be able to continue looking at the system as a whole, and see if there are any problems or leaks. So only after spending $509 will I know how much it will cost me. I swear, my life is a sitcom. Who writes this stuff??
Luckily it's only supposed to get to 99° today. Ah, sweet relief!
10 years ago

10 comments:
Don't blame me. I want you use my fairly decent salary to get you a $5K car. Sent links and everything but you weren't interested.
Buying a $5k car is just what they want me to do. It only feeds the beast. Vive la Résistance! Vive le Québec libre! Sacrebleu!
Dear, you aren't Canadian.
Well, darling... You get what you pay for. There's always public transportation, or better yet, a bicycle. I have one sitting in my garage if you get too desperate. I'd even be willing to clip a fan to the handle bar if you'd like. Just make sure you wear your helmet. There are a bunch of crazies on the road, especially in Utah!
It cost us 2k to get the car smog ready, breaks, etc. a tune up costs almost $200. The car was originally purchased for about 10k. You get what you pay for doesn't seem to fit the bill with anything these days.
Bo... kninsa? I have started reading your website because my mom recommended it. :)
Your mom is a gentlewoman and a scholar... but I'm pretty sure you've already left a comment on a previous blog entry... and I don't even know your mom.
I'm with Shem. Break out the checkbook, and get a new car. I'm sure some local college kid will buy your car. Just sell it in the Fall.
Hey, wait a minute. He's complaining about a car he is borrowing from a college student!! He didn't pay for the car in the first place and now complains about the A/C? Humph!
-- Dad, who owns the car and loaned it to a college student who loaned it to him for the summer --
Don't bother me with petty details, paternal parental figure.
Post a Comment