Monday, July 28, 2008

“The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” ~Mark Twain

So Shem has been clamoring for a book review post ... which is ironic because she never reads. But I do believe that referrals from other human beings are much better than a top list from some national magazine. So here are some books I have read in recent weeks/months:

Peace Like a River by Leif Enger:
Hands down the best book I've read all year. The pictures that man can paint with words makes me feel like I'm speaking a different language than he is.

Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull:
I loved these books! Wonderfully gripping children's books.

Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer:
The first one was very page-turning... and then I think they went downhill from there. Less plot, more bizarre "love" (such as it is) triangle. I do not think their emotions are healthy, nor a topic for a YA book. Yes, I have read them all, and yes, I can still exude masculinity. I'm disappointed that she's still writing more, and now Midnight Sun is supposed to be a companion novel? I'm sorry, but Edward Cullen will never be Ender Wiggin.

I am Legend by Richard Matheson:
Fascinating foray into the social depths of one human's psyche. Much better than the movie.

The Husband by Dean Koontz:
Very good mystery twist; not the weird quasi-sci-fi stuff that he normally writes.

Insomnia by Stephen King:
Nothing Stephen writes is bad literature. Disturbing? Yes. Twisted? Yes. But his intense use of imagery and his ability to immerse the reader into the characters' psychological world is unequaled.

It's Not About the Bike by Lance Armstrong:
I believe in fiction. Reading should have enough entertainment value to allow me to forget about the nonfiction I call "life." It's rare for me to find a nonfiction book I like; this is one of them.

Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo by Obert Skye:
It was okay. Not as good as Harry Potter, and nowhere near the caliber of Fablehaven.

Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld:
Excellent. I would recommend anything by this author; the Uglies series, the Midnighters series, Peeps; I enjoyed them all.

The Human Stain by Philip Roth:
Interesting. A look into the culture wars and political correctness of the 1990's.

6 comments:

Jess said...

Those are some pretty good suggestions. Did you know Leif Enger has a new book out? I haven't read it but I've heard good things. You may want to look at The Whistling Season by Doig. I liked the second book of twilight the best. I may get killed for saying this but I wanted Bella to end up with Jacob.

the lunch lady said...

I love Leif Enger!!! I currently have his newest book floating around in the trunk of my car. I know that once I start actually reading it I will get nothing productive done until it is finished, so I'm waiting . . . I recently read Eat Pray Love and enjoyed it. For the younger set, I highly recommend "Skippy Jon Jones" It gets 2 thumbs up from me. And I refuse to read the Twilight series. Sorry. And sorry that this is so long. I like books. What can I say.

Shem said...

Lunch lady, I refuse to read the twilight series too. If I do get around to reading something, it will be of more worth to me than vampires.

kninsa said...

I don't believe one can judge until one has partaken. I have partaken, and I think they're "okay," but way overrated. Still, boycotting on popularity principles alone isn't right... and would have left Ms. Rowling a poor woman indeed.

the lunch lady said...

it's not the popularity that object to, it's the mediocre writing. (please don't hurt me!!!)

Amy said...

I'm glad to know the Husband is good. I saw it at the local paperback exchange, and ALMOST picked it up. Maybe on my next trip out, i will bring it home with me. I'm shocked you will admit you read the Twilight series. Can't wait to find out what you thought of the book number 4!