Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz" ~Humphrey Bogart

So I took Shem to a baseball game last night. Sometimes it's surprisingly easy to make a woman happy -- you'd think I'd figure it out more often. Men can be so stupid sometimes.
But anyway, the ball game...

Her eyes got all lit up like a little kid, and she got progressively more excited in direct proportion to our proximity to the stadium. When we got there, she immediately showed me around to all of the vendors and her favorite spots to sit and how she used to sneak in without paying how much fun she had when she was younger. Gone are the days of hot dogs and popcorn at the game. Now you can buy a gourmet brat (that's "brat" as in "bratwurst" not "brat" as in me when I was younger) with all the fixings... or a deli sandwich on wheat with guacamole and red peppers... or an authentic Mexican smothered burrito. And then my sweet darling introduced me to the most amazing thing ever invented:

It was a wonderful night for everyone involved. Except the players, of course, who lost. But what can you do?






Although, as a postscript, I have to say that at every baseball game I have ever gone to, more than half crowd sings the darn words wrong. It's supposed to be "I don't care if I never come back." Never. If you never came back from the ball game... you wouldn't care. If you're going to sing about living the dream, at least get your dream right. Sheesh. To quote my favorite blogger: "There is no excuse for ignorance in the age of information."

9 comments:

Shem said...

Correction - I always paid. I just didn't always pay full price. I am a much better person now.

the lunch lady said...

Don't you long for the good old days, when a dog was a dog? You guys are seriously funny. I'm so glad you blog!

kpmomma said...

The most amazing thing ever invented was popcorn in a bag? I don't get it.

Shem said...

My poor, dear sis that is not merely popcorn in a bag… that is fresh, hot KETTLE CORN.

kpmomma said...

Ahhh... Then, I'd have to agree with your dear hubby! Kettle corn is the BEST! I always get it at the movie theater even though I have to take out a good sized bank loan in order to buy it. :)

Tiffany and Brad said...

"brat" as in what you were as a kid? I think you're giving yourself too much credit now. ;)

Jim, the Middle-Aged Mormon Man said...

I wasn't really familiar with the "ever/never" issue in the song, but as my dear Brother-in-law Scott pointed out just last night, MANY game-goers incorrectly pluralize "Cracker Jack."

the words and history can be found here: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/po_stmo.shtml

Unknown said...

Also,

You of course realize that "I don't care if I ever get back" and "I don't care if I never get back" are semantically equivalent, right? You can be bugged that they get the words wrong, but you can't really complain that they're changing the message of the song. :p

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.