Here's a trivia question for the common masses. Actually it's not so much a trivia question as the fact that I honestly don't know the answer and I'm curious if I fell asleep through this part of driver's ed, or if they really truly didn't teach it.
Person A pulls up to a stop sign at a two-way stop, wanting to turn left. The through street is fairly busy, so Person A sits and waits for about three minutes, watching the traffic zoom by and wondering why he didn't just go three blocks down so he could catch a light instead of a stop sign. After three minutes, Person B pulls up to the opposite stop sign, wanting to go straight across this allegedly busy through street. Five minutes after that, there is finally a break in traffic.
Person A pulls up to a stop sign at a two-way stop, wanting to turn left. The through street is fairly busy, so Person A sits and waits for about three minutes, watching the traffic zoom by and wondering why he didn't just go three blocks down so he could catch a light instead of a stop sign. After three minutes, Person B pulls up to the opposite stop sign, wanting to go straight across this allegedly busy through street. Five minutes after that, there is finally a break in traffic.
Who gets to go first? Generally the person going straight gets right-of-way, but the left-turner was there first. But after five minutes... has the statute of limitations expired on that privilege? Cast your votes here, or by texting 'A' or 'B' to our operators.


12 comments:
A
really I think the award goes to whoever gets out in the intersection first. But if they really timed it right, B should be through the lane before A gets there. They really should synchronize it.
I'm going to go with...(insert drum-roll here) A!
First, I would like to congratulate the artist of the diagram. It was masterfully made. I believe the answer is that person B gets to go first. The driver going straight has the right of way despite the length of wait. Next time, go to a stop light with a green turn arrow. :)
I admit upfront that I had to take the written exam twice (oh the shame and embarrassment) as a teenager, so I have limited credibility. I always treat such a setting similar to a four way stop...whoever arrives at the intersection first has right of way. So my answer is car "A" should be the first to go when a break in traffic appears. I also believe that many people experience a Dr.Jekyll/Mr. Hyde transformation when driving and especially when it comes to taking turns at intersections. I appreciate kind drivers, they have become a rarity.
I'm pretty sure that A is the correct answer because i think that the cross traffic rule applies where the driver crossing traffic does not have a stop sign. I'd still be cautious though If I were A. Doesn't seem like anyone knows how to drive anymore!
I actually can say definitively that person B, the person going straight, has the right of way. Still, as we have just proved, most people don't know this and think the turner (who got there first) has the right of way, so be careful either way.
Actually, I believe that I have some credibility to answer this question--because I just went to traffic school last week and we had a pop quiz--yes, a pop quiz--about right of way. The only instance where car B would have the right of way is if it was a four-way intersection with lights, not stop signs. When it comes to stop signs, no matter if it is a two way stop sign, such as this example, or a four way, the first car who comes to a stop, has the right of way. Hence, car A gets to go first.
I say A, but when I am in my big huge white car I would say me nomatter if I am A or B because most likely I am the bigger car and you don't want to fight with a big car.
I absolutely love your vote, Hawkins. But what about when you are in your new sexy little RED race car? ;o)
Then you would drive more carefully than ever before because you love your little car and you have people who are counting on you to come home in it! Love, your mom, who has worried about your impatience in driving situations since you were 15 1/2.
I will have to admit, I myself have wondered this very same thing..usually being the first one to arrive, with my signal to turn..groaning as the car opposite me approaches, and they usually floor it, (me being the bigger car doesn't intimidate them,)and I'm forced to wait for them which usually forces me to wait for more cars whizzing by..oh the humanities!
Post a Comment