Friday, August 15, 2008

"Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will have to ram it down their throats." ~Howard Aiken

Yes, I'm a nerd. I quoted Howard Aiken. Get over it.

Our theme today is a "mash-up" of a couple of ideas I've abashedly stolen: one I take from my favorite blogger, who is always holding "contests" (personally -- and unlike her -- I'm just digging for comments, but whatever works, right?) and the second idea comes from the most annoying, asinine, frustrating tradition in the history of sports.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, I'm about to talk about sports. Maybe next time I'll discuss the wearing of white after Labor Day, or my experience wearing horizontal stripes, or something along those lines. Or maybe not. Don't hold your collective breaths.

kninsa steps on soapbox
Nothing is more annoying about sports than fake-sounding records. Imagine yourself sitting down to a nice, relaxing game of football. John Madden begins whining (some call it commentating, but they are fooling themselves) and you prepare to enjoy a nice game of blood and dirt and personal fouls. The teams line up. The crowd hushes. There's the snap! The game begins! And then, inevitably, Madden or Michaels will announce some incredibly stupid and seemingly made-up record: "Marshall Faulk has now rushed for more post-season yards on a Monday-night game during a losing half, than any other 30-year-old black player in the NFC in below-zero temperatures." Well, what kind of stupid statistic is that and why do you want them to tell you about it? I can only imagine telling my kids, when someone breaks that record... "Yes, son, I remember back when that record was set. Everybody thought it was unbeatable. Those were good times..." Sheesh.
kninsa climbs down from pedestal er... soapbox

Aaaaaanyway.... so today I have a lunch-lady-esque challenge for all of my devoted readers (or fans, if you'd prefer to call yourselves that). I challenge each of you to leave a comment with your favorite summertime snack, along with an amazingly fantastic statistic proving how your snack is better than mine.

My favorite summertime snack is homemade salsa. It's a family recipe that has been practiced and perfected by my family for about a dozen summers. I refuse to give out the recipe (mostly because it changes slightly every time), but I am always more than willing to make it for anyone who requests it. This snack holds the uncontested record as the most-eaten food by men with flowery names doing crossword puzzles on Sunday afternoons during the month of July in the western United States at elevations over 4500 feet.

Does your summertime snack hold a better record? Shem will be my impartial judge (would the opposite of 'impartial' be 'partial?' If she were a partial judge, what would the other part be?) and her favorite record-holding summertime snack will win a free copy of my current favorite book.

12 comments:

Kellye said...

Some might say that this is more of a meal than a snack, but it isn't, it is a snack, and is very enjoyable during the summer months. First you get some sort of yummy bread or rolls or bagels or anything loaded with carbs. Then Munster cheese, turkey, tomatoes, green peppers, avocado, sprouts, cucumber, and don't forget the salt and pepper. DeYummy! I could eat this every day during the summer, sometimes even twice a day. Also I don't want to be the winner, because I already have that book. It is a good series though.

Jess said...

My favorite summer snack is the frozen orange smoothie. You just combine orange juice, milk, vanilla, ice, and some sugar. It's pretty healthy and excellent on a hot day. I have to agree with the rant, I mean discussion about sports announcers. I've really noticed it as I've watched the Olympics.

the lunch lady said...

I'm still thinking. I'm combing the guiness book of world records trying to come up with something record breaking. Like cassette tapes. And especially CDs. Because if I play, I play to WIN!!!!

Unknown said...

My favorite summertime snack is simple homegrown tomatoes. Mmmm MMMM! You can add pepper if desired. My snack is the most nutritious red summertime snack that is largely unavailable in temperate regions for most of the year in the category of fruits commonly mistaken for vegetables.

kpmomma said...

Oh, I'm hyperventilating... I don't compete well. Ask Shem!
Anyway, my favorite summertime snack, which I don't get to enjoy anymore since S.M. decided to clear the vines from her backyard, is homegrown frozen mini-grapes. They were soooo sweet, like little balls of candy, and when frozen were so refreshing in the hot Central Valley, CA weather. My snack is better than yours because #1- It refreshes on the hottest of days with little prep work and very few calories. #2- They conjure up very fond memories of lazy summer afternoons spent with one of the best dad's in the whole wide world! Unfortunately for all of us both grapes and dad are no longer with us. I love you Pops! We miss you dearly!!!!

Roses said...

My favorite summertime snack (let's not argue definitions here)is steak on the grill. I win, as it appeals to all the senses. The smell of the smoke as the juices drip on the coals, the sizzle, the hot-pink medium meat with the dark grill marks, the juicy tenderness, and the garlicy, buttery, meaty goodness. Mmmmmm!! And it's great with chips and fresh salsa -- and corn on the cob -- and ripe, sweet watermelon -- and homemade ice cream -- Oh, the joys (and foods) of summer!!

kpmomma said...

OK Roses, now I'm drooling... Might have to visit the meat dept. tonight and mix up some of my dad's marinade. Shem- wish you were here! Maybe we can have a bbq one night during your visit?! Show kninsa what a real marinade tastes like! LOL

kninsa said...

Wow, such wonderful responses! While only the mysterious indefinite article "the" (whoever that is) has specifically followed the rules of the contest, everyone has done very well at contributing.

Two more days until Shem picks a winner... lunch lady better hurry...

the lunch lady said...

the pressure ... I can't take it !!!!!! I'm still thinking. It's very hard for me.

Michiko said...

My favorite summer snack is ice cream. I know I'm not the only one that feels that way. It cools you down during hot days, numbs sore teeth (for people that get new braces or get them tightened), and is a comfort food to most women. Some facts about ice cream are on http://www2.hawaii.edu/~cmi/page6.htm, where it says such things as July is National ice cream month, proving my fact that ice cream is the best summer snack.

Roses said...

My snack holds the uncontested record as the most-eaten summer food by people with impeccable taste in temperate climates or climates close to temperate climates. My snack is impossible to find in non-summer months in non-temperate climes. The exquisite nectarine, fresh off the tree, picked at the peak of ripeness, is the best snack. With no need for added sugar, even the peel is sweet and tastes like a mouth full of sunshine (this has no connection whatsoever with a pocketful of sunshine). Mom

Allyson said...

My favorite summer snack is nice chewy sourdough bread with butter and cold Havarti cheese with a side of freshly cut melon. This delectable snack is preferred by most Californians looking to enjoy the moderate summer temps on their patios on lazy Saturday evenings.