Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"I've been on a calendar but I have never been on time" ~ Marilyn Monroe

I'm using Chrome right now -- look at me from the side; do I look different to you?

Blogs are beautiful things.  I can talk about whatever I darn well please and nobody can do a thing about it.  I feel not unlike an annoying radio DJ.  Have you ever been listening to a radio station (in the bathroom getting dressed, or driving in your car, or deep-sea diving), and suddenly the DJ goes off on some inane subject -- that you may or may not have an opinion about, but either way you certainly don't want to sit and listen to his?  This happens quite often -- almost daily, in fact -- when listening to a local radio station that rhymes with "son, son of mine:  defend."  But what can you do?  Chances are good that all the lines are busy.  Or, being too busy listening to his own voice, he won't answer.  Or he'll simply hang up on you.  If you're driving, you are one of the lucky ones; you simply change the station, cut someone off, yell at them from behind closed windows, and get on with your day.  But if you're unlucky enough to be getting ready for work, you're screwed.  You can't change the station because it took you 10 mornings of staticky frustration to find just that exact location on the dial; you can't turn it off because (nod to Shem) you run the danger of falling back asleep at any minute.  He and his soapbox have absolute control.

And so here I am, comparing myself to Jimmy Annoying Know-It-All and all the other likewise-powerful men who control our airwaves -- nay, our lives.  And why do I?  Because I currently have that power.  I can say anything I like right now, and you can't do anything about it, except comment.  And so... allow me to go cognito, and proceed to my rant:  

Why is it so exceptional to be on time?  I know places of employment (that shall remain nameless to protect the dis-innocent) that actually give bonuses or rewards to people who are consistently on time.  Does anybody else find this wrong?  Just fire everyone who is late more than twice; problem solved; no bonus needed.  Also, have you ever prepared a perfectly timed dinner for company, only to have them be late?  (side note:  this wonderful woman is always on time, and she rocks)

Okay, we interrupt this rant to bring you something much more interesting.  Speaking of the above-mentioned radio station and the above-mentioned diva who thinks he rules it... did anybody else hear him make a complete fool of himself to Nicky Cage?  Har har har!  He thought he'd hung up on the megastar, and started talking about him -- while he was still on the phone.  Classic!

Nicolas is interesting because he's such a huge star, and yet such a gumby at the same time.  He's made so many movies, and so few of them are memorable... but those that are, are unforgettable.  I could watch Raising Arizona dozens of times and never tire.  But I honestly can't think of any other good cagey movies right now -- and plenty of dumb ones.  Now Hugh Jackman, on the other hand, there is a guy who can do no wrong.  Wearing claws or inventing elevators, that man is a marvel.

Anyway, um... what was I talking about?  
Oh well, I'd better go -- I'm late for a meeting.

10 comments:

Allyson said...

You are so right about Hugh Jackman, not a wrong move.

Amy said...

I feel honored to have been called out in your blog.(almost feel like I need to thank the academy). I sadly missed the rant, I think I was in the car and changed the station. I always miss the good stuff. Good thing Shem is on it!

the lunch lady said...

hear, hear.

It is nice to have your own forum.

Those guys on Defend are full. of. them. selves.

kpmomma said...

I have one word for you... Podcasts...

Oh yeah, a few more...

Peggy Sue Got Married.

You can choose podcasts that play just music and you don't have to worry about the reception.

Peggy Sue Got Married was one of my first favorite movies. Didn't love it quite as much as Dirty Dancing but it was a CLOSE second!

Tiffany and Brad said...

It took me about 43 seconds to realize that Chrome SUCKS. (Or at least, it doesn't meet my personal needs/desires in a browser.)

kninsa said...

lunch lady: I knew your opinion was a righteous one.

kpmomma: thanks for the tip, but unfortunately podcasts don't work in my car, nor on my clock radio.

brad: I honestly can't say I've ever met somebody who has personal needs or desires in a browser. What are they? Does it not get the Internet?

Roses said...

But what about Matchstick Men? Or City of Angels? And I have a couple of kids who would argue Gone in 60 Seconds.

Roses said...

Come to think about it, Next wasn't unforgettable. The movies Mr. Cage does best are the ones where little dramatic facial expression is necessary. Then he nails it.

Tiffany and Brad said...

brad: I honestly can't say I've ever met somebody who has personal needs or desires in a browser. What are they? Does it not get the Internet?

What a silly thing to say! Why are you using Chrome? Why don't you just keep using IE? Oh, you WEREN'T using IE you say? Why ever not?

kninsa said...

Wow Roses, I'm impressed with your knowledge of Cage's repertoire. Yes, it's true, Next was a good movie. And I could watch Gone in 60 Seconds tirelessly.

I did like your summary of his facial expertise.