Thursday, October 30, 2008

“Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do" ~Will Rogers

I voted last night.  It was sensational.
Shem almost didn't.  How ironic.

Don't get me wrong; I believe in being involved in my community -- including politics.  I believe in researching the issues at hand, and choosing leaders and representatives who will stand for those morals I believe are important.  I just don't believe in voting for the President.  I know Shem gets tired of hearing it, but the electoral college is my bane.  I honestly, truly believe that "every vote DOESN'T count," because my electorate is going to vote for the same party every single election year, regardless of who I check on the ballot.  So I voted for Nader, just to spite my state's electorates.

But, momentarily putting aside my issues with the head of the executive branch, I do take voting very seriously.  And I hope that the incumbent Assistant County Recorder wins, because nobody was running against her and it was simply a Yes/No vote.  How embarrassing would that be, if the people opted for nobody in that office, rather than her?

Shem (the Poli Sci major) almost didn't vote, however.  Who knew that when you got married and changed your name, you were no longer a person?  The Highway Patrol can figure it out when they want to ticket her; the IRS can figure it out when she fails to pay taxes; but the U.S. government can't tell she's still a person... even when she's standing right there with both forms of ID (old and new).  Fortunately, she's full of charm, and so she was able to cast her ballot that will be overridden by the whims of a random electorate -- just like the rest of us.

Speaking of voting issues, here is a very well-done and intelligent video on Proposition 8 that I found amusing:

10 comments:

Shem said...

For the record... I pay my taxes and don't have any tickets. But yes, I did cause a stink at the polling place. I am pretty sure the next newlywed voting at the SF Armory will have an easier time.

Allyson said...

I almost voted for Nader - I actually used to be a registered member of the Peace and Freedom Party!
Also, I am so glad that you found the Prop 8 video amusing!

the lunch lady said...

ok, but did you see the member of the rainbow coal. out on university protesting against prop 8 this evening?

kninsa said...

No I didn't, lunch lady. Do tell...

Unknown said...

The video link isn't working for me. :(

The Hawkins said...

I am also voting for Nadar! In the Presidential election I would have to say I feel like a rock in the ocean, on a state and county level I feel every vote counts and can make a difference.

We are going to miss you guys around here. Hope you sold your house to someone great! Is that rude to say?

Jim, the Middle-Aged Mormon Man said...

I voted Friday.

My original intent was to write-in Romney, despite his "suspension" from campaigning. However, I heard a rumor that writing in a candidate that is not officially running invalidates your ballot (I have been unable to confirm this yet).

Now, to Kninsa's point, it probably didn't matter in terms of the presidential race, since the electoral college is perportedly MUCH wiser than us all - but I DID want my local vote to count ... so for President of the United States, I voted for ...

... nobody.

Many are unaware that you are allowed to leave a section blank.

And since NONE of the presidential candidates represent me or my viewpoint, I decided NONE of them get my vote.

I guess we'll see what 2012 brings ... besides the end of the world. ... {grin}

The Hawkins said...

Okay I lied. I was going to vote for Nadar but ended up voting for Baldwin. However I knew that nomatter who I voted for we would end up with a President who won't even salute our flag so why does my vote matter.

kninsa said...

No, hawkins, it's not rude to wish for a non-loser as a neighbor. Sure do miss you. You always smiled and waved...

Amy said...

I'm with Hawkin's..I knew we would get a President who can't embrace the fact that his mother was "white", and that when you say the pledge, the appropriate thing is to put your hand over your heart. Did I also mention his wife was never proud to be an American until he decided to run for president?? The list goes on..
I loved the commercial..
I missed Shem tonight on our regular Thursday activity night, can you send her back..please? You can stay in your new hometown. :)