Monday, November 24, 2008

“Important principles may and must be inflexible” ~Abraham Lincoln

Okay, it has to be said.  I've tried to calmly hold it in and let the chaos of emotions roil around me, like a patient driver on the Interstate who doesn't let his feathers get ruffled by the dangerous nuts cutting him off.  But I can't do it any longer.  Somebody has to say it, and so I will -- and let the righteous anger of female bloggers everywhere crash down on top of me.

EDWARD AND BELLA DO NOT HAVE A PERFECT DREAM OF TRUE LOVE!

There.  It's out.  Damn me if you must.

Now, just to show that I'm trying to be open-minded and in touch with my feminine side -- just to prove that my opinions are not unbending -- I will admit that I have changed my opinion of Edward in recent discussions.  I am willing to concede that Edward is very very old, and quite mature, and has presumably been in many relationships before that didn't work out, and has definitely watched the problems and quirks of his family's relationships.  So I'm willling to give into the fact that maybe -- just maybe -- Edward has just been waiting for all these years until he found the perfect woman to love and cherish.  That maybe his love is pure and true, and he just needed to find someone to lavish it on.  That maybe he's everything Mr. Darcy could have been, had he been bitten in the middle of the night and had his blood sucked out of him.

But nobody will ever be able to convince me that Bella has healthy emotions.  Pubescent girls should NOT feel that way about boys.  They should not burn and ache in their loins every time they hear someone's voice.  They should not freeze up and completely blank things out (often very important things) every time they feel someone's touch.  17-year-old girls should not be so infatuated and lustful about their boyfriend that they become suicidal.  Can none of the lovestruck women out there see that this is not healthy??  Do we want our daughters growing up thinking that this is what love is supposed to feel like??  Do we want them searching out their own personal "Edwards" the way my peers always longed for their own personal "Fitzwilliams?"

This craze has gone on long enough.  Let's all close our lusty books and go back to reading Stephen King, like normal children.

8 comments:

the lunch lady said...

ha ha. love the Stephen King!

I haven't read the books. (disclaimer)

I did see the movie.

And I just couldn't buy him as a 17 year-old. The other high school friends, yeah. But not EC. And so I kind of couldn't get past the whole pedophile thing.

maybe it's because I have a teenage daughter and I'm sensitive.

at least Miss Elizabeth was of age.

I'm a total P&P nerd. And this is really long.

Jim, the Middle-Aged Mormon Man said...

Ok ... call me the stereotypical male, but ...

The fact you delving into this imaginary literary relationship scenario, no less stooped as a male to experiencing either the book or the movie makes me say:

"that's it, buddy ... turn in your male genitalia. you're obviously have no more use of them"

:)

Allyson said...

Whoa, that was some eruption of emotion! Kudos on the excellent rant!

Oh Kninsa, I don't damn you - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

That being said, to love with such all consuming, single-mindedness of heart and mind as Edward and Bella do must truly be considered beautiful. But, we must remember that this is fiction, and if the lines between fantasy and reality are being confused than we have more Stephen King-like problems. ;)

Jess said...

I have to agree with some of what you are saying. The way Bella looses herself in Edward is creepy, especially considering her age. However, I think you may be missing the element of the supernatural. Edward is not only a vampire, he has special powers. As we find out in the later books, so does Bella. These powers may explain the insanely intense feelings.
The think the thing that is so attractive about Edward and Bella is the complete devotion they have. I think that is what every "girl" wants. While the love story may not be normal or real, the committment is what people are addicted to. Why do you think Romeo and Juliet has lasted so long. It isn't for the humor or the reality. Who doesn't want to be loved that much.

kninsa said...

That's the best argument I've heard so far, Jess!

Amy said...

I'm going to have to agree with you Kninsa! I think she was over the top in not wanting him to ever leave her side etc. I think most of her feelings for EC were unhealthy..however, he is a vampire, and I guess she was feeling desperate thinking that she would grow old and die, and he would live on without her.
Lunch Lady..wait until the 4th and final book to discuss that pedophile issue..that book didn't sit well with me..for that issue alone...what was the author thinking???

the lunch lady said...

ewwwww.

CR said...

I haven't read the books or seen the movie, so it is easy for me to agree with you. But your rant was so funny, I laughed out loud.