Friday, November 21, 2008

“Tradition is a guide and not a jailer” ~ William Somerset Maugham

So I have a dilemma...

This year for the first time ever, I am "in charge" of Christmas with my new family. Kninsa doesn't really understand why I am already stressing about a day over a month away, but I am.

What should our Family Christmas be like? What traditions do we want? What should we eat?

These are all questions circling in my mind.

My family had a very non-traditional Christmas routine. It developed out of the fact there were only 4 of us and as the children reached adulthood, we realized a big "family dinner" for 4 people was kind of a waste of time. That is when we started going out to Chinese on Christmas day. And we all loved it.



Now, I realize this is not a good option for my new family, but I have no idea what to do.

What are your Christmas traditions? And if I may, can I steal some?

HELP!

10 comments:

kninsa said...

Yeah in my family growing up we used to dress up every year and act out the first Christmas. Steal that tradition, if you dare.

Allyson said...

When we were kids we dressed up and did a Nativity play too! Funny.

Some of the traditions we have that I love most are a)Christmas Eve PJ's, b)a new ornament every year, c)Stockings are almost better than the presents and those get done before presents. Another thing we do is instead of a fancy dinner on Christmas eve, we watch movies and have snack/appetizer foods and just veg out.

the lunch lady said...

lots of people do christmas jammies, but I always feel to cheap after all the other presents have been bought.

We go to more family christmas parties than we really want to. most of them we semi-dread.

we traditionally do pizza and apple beer for Christmas Eve. And EVERYONE in the family has to burp. At least once. It's a long story.

We do NOT get to open a present on Christmas Eve. (boo.)

We read the Christmas story (the one in the Bible). We sing carols.

Cookies and Eggnog for Santa. The kids write one more letter to Santa -- this time it's thanks for the gifts, be safe. And then Santa writes back.

Blah blah blah. Very traditional.

Traditions are what works for you and you like enough to keep doing. You'll find them. Sometimes by accident!

Shem said...

Pizza and apple beer sounds good. So does appetizers.

Santa does deserve a thank you note. What polite children you are raising.

Thanks to both of you for some fun ideas.

kninsa said...

I happen to agree with the "no gifts on Christmas Eve" idea. Kudos to lunch lady for being traditional!


Because we all know how traditional pizza and apple beer are...

Jess said...

All of us kids used to sleep in the same room. Also, we ate a bigger meal on Christmas Eve, then snacked on Christmas Day. Grandma and Grandpa always came to see our presents (although in later years, we went celebrate Christmas the day after with them.)

Book Worm & Builder Bob said...

My sister happens to be having a "sharing Christmas traditions" discussion on her blog right now (thecouponcoup.blogspot.com). She also has some holiday recipes and such. You know you want to check it out.

kpmomma said...

Come on Shem, fight for the one present on Christmas Eve tradition! Some things are sacred and THAT is one of them. :) We're still going out for Chinese food, HURRAY! One of the advantages of marrying someone who's family didn't celebrate Christmas growing up, I get to make all the rule! :) YIPPEEE!!!

Amy said...

Who says you have to do anything elaborate to have it be a tradition? Kninsa, my family did the same thing..take that! I think my family hung out together..whether we were watching TV, or family movies. I don't think you need to do anything stressful..since the holiday's are stresfull enough.
Lunch Lady..hats off to you for writing thank you notes to Santa!
Good luck Shem..and if you really want to go get Chinese food..go for it!

Roses said...

My 2 cents: Ask the boys what they think would be special. You could begin the conversation with a discussion of what Christmas ought to really be all about. Maybe they could come up with some kind of service they could do for each other, or you, or their friends or their neighbors in the days leading up to Christmas. Traditions do have a way of developing themselves, which is fun and nice.